Ann Arbor’s Backyard for 30 Years
Celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, Leslie Science & Nature Center (LSNC) is a non-profit urban science and environmental education center serving youth, families, and communities throughout southeastern Michigan and beyond. Inspired by the legacy of Dr. Eugene and Emily Leslie, LSNC educates and inspires children and adults to discover, understand, and respect their natural environment. Through experiences with LSNC, individuals and communities establish lifelong connections with the natural world and work to support and protect it for future generations.
Open and free to the public every day during daylight hours, LSNC is located in Ann Arbor on 50 acres of fields, forest, and prairie. A short hike down our trails will take you to Black Pond, a vernal pool that teems with insects, amphibians, and reptiles in the spring and summer. Our site also houses 13 educational birds of prey in open air enclosures; an exhibit room featuring small reptiles, amphibians, insects, and mammals open to the public on most Sunday afternoons; and a “green” building that incorporates recycled materials, solar energy, and composting toilets available for rentals and birthday parties. Open year-round, LSNC’s facilities and grounds offer a range of exciting ways to learn about nature during day and overnight visits by individuals, families, community groups, and schools.
- Come over for a picnic, a visit to the Critter House, an easy hike out to the pond, or an afternoon playing Frisbee in our big field
- Bring your class, group, or scout troop to one of a dozen field trip and overnight programs for preschool through middle school, or sign up for one of our hands-on preschool programs
- Join us for one of our popular public programs or events like the Ann Arbor Earth Day Festival, Spring Eggstravaganza, BioBlitz, or Sunday Afternoon Naturalists.
- Get messy and make new friends at our summer and school break camps
- Rent our buildings or book a birthday party program for your next family celebration or group gathering
Let US come to YOU
- Meet critters and raptors in our outreach programs for preschool through middle school about the food chain, animal habitats and more
- Bring our educators and animals to community celebrations, fairs, and festivals
- Invite us to join you for a custom animal program for your next birthday or milestone event
Visit http://www.lesliesnc.org or call 734-997-1553 for hours, directions, and more!